Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Our Weekend

Can we go back and have a weekend do over? I felt the last of summer slip away from us this weekend, and I'm not ready. I love fall, but I kind of want to live in this in between seasons phase forever. Warm sunny days where you can still run around barefoot, and cool nights that change the colors of the leaves. 

Somehow our house has become the place for the neighborhood kids to hang out. Harrison and Brooke have 3 close friends that are at our house at least a couple nights a week, so it's pretty common for it to be me and 7 kids chilling on a Tuesday night. Friday night we had 3 additional kids who joined our evening hang, so there were 10 kids running in and out of our house. If I had any alcohol I probably would have drank it. 

I kicked everyone out when it was time to get the babies ready for bed, and then breathed a huge sigh of relief. Having 4 older school aged boys hanging around is crazy. They want to jump off the deck, climb the fence, slam dunk on the babies' plastic basketball hoop. They're crazy, and I'm not ready for my kids to be that kind of crazy yet. I know it's coming, I can already see it in Harrison, but can we keep playing house and Legos for the next 5 years?

Once the babies were asleep, Harrison, Brooke, and I got to work painting their pumpkins they picked out during their field trip to the pumpkin patch. We watched Mickey's House of Villains while waiting for the paint to dry and finally called it a night close to 10:30. I think I may have been asleep before they were.

Saturday morning we woke up, bushed our teeth, packed swimsuits and a change of clothes and headed to the lake. One of the local churches was putting on a fall festival, so we headed up to check it out. Before we headed to the festival we took a boat ride while still rocking pajamas. Once at the festival we played carnival games, bounced in the bounce houses, checked out a fire engine and a police car, ate hot dogs and cookies, and bounced some more. Do everyone's kids love bounce houses as much as mine? Yes? Clark just ran around falling down and giggling. It was hysterical to watch him. We had a meltdown over suckers and some screaming due to the number of bees following us around, but overall it was a good time.










Naps followed the festival, and then the big kids wanted to go tubing. It was cloudy, windy, and only 71 degrees. They are so my kids, because I would have wanted to do the same thing when I was younger. We enjoyed the last boat ride of the year while H and B tubed behind the boat, and before we knew it, it was time to eat dinner and head home. I put all the kids back in their jams, and we took off. All 4 fell asleep on the drive home, it's about an hour, and I successfully transferred all of them to their beds without more than a squeak or grunt. Mom win!

Sunday morning was rainy, windy, and brought a nasty migraine along with the weather. Before my headache became unbearable, we made it to our cousin's first birthday party. The party fell right during nap time, but the babies managed to stay in good moods. Pizza, cake, and ice cream will do that to you. 


The birthday girl

Unfortunately my headache was a full on migraine by the time we made it home, so I spent the remainder of the day laying down in bed or on the couch. Mr. Dad of the year took over most of the dinner and bedtime duties so I could lay down and not toss my cookies. My migraine lingered all day yesterday and this morning, but has mostly passed on.

This morning we turned the heat on and it was cold enough that I made the babies watch for the bus from the window instead of walking down to the bus stop. They were not happy about that. Fall has finally arrived, and as sad as I am to see the last of summer go, I can't complain about sweater weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment