Thursday, September 28, 2017

Whole30 - Here We Go Again

I have been reading about Whole30 for the past couple years and have found it very intriguing. If you don't know what it is, it's a 30 day clean eating program where you eat only whole foods for 30 days. I had either been cycling, pregnant, or nursing for the last 2.5 years so it wasn't something I ever felt I could do. When I realized I would have just over a month between stopping nursing Scarlett and Clark and when I would start cycling for our FET, I decided that would be the perfect time to give Whole30 a go. I managed to convince Rob to do it with me, although I don't think he really knew what he was getting into.

We got back from our west coast vacation on Tuesday, and started our Whole30 the Sunday of that week. I planned our first week of meals and thought we were prepared, but we really weren't. We did fine, but I really should have done some more research into Whole30 compliant products before we started. EVERYTHING has added sugar, soy, or color. Salad dressing, mustard, frozen potatoes, bacon. So many things I hadn't thought about ahead of time.


We finished our 30 days and I swore I'd never do it again. Toward the end I found myself becoming obsessive about what I couldn't eat. We went to Bravas the week we finished and I got a burger that was lights out. I remember thinking this was the best thing I've ever tasted. I was so happy not to be depriving myself of food I loved. I LOVE food. I really love food. Rob on the other hand loved it. He loved the strictness of it and how it kept him from having "just one" slice of pizza that then turned into 4 slices of pizza. He would have liked to have kept going after the 30 days were up, but I was very adamant about not cooking Whole30 compliant meals anymore.

As I may have mentioned a time or two, I love food, and am totally guilty of emotional eating. The two weeks following the miscarriage were filled with lots of ordering pizza, eating out, and over indulging in Phish Food. I didn't feel like cooking, or doing much else, so I didn't. Now that we're getting back to normal life I'm heavy, bloated, my skin is a mess, and I'm feeling just plain blah from weeks of terrible eating habits. Another round of Whole30 is just what I need to get my body back on track after the crazy month its been through. So here we are 2 months later and starting another round of Whole30. So much for that "I'm never doing it again."


We're going into this round with much more planning which I think will be key to a more enjoyable 30 days. I have a calendar made up for the month outlining our dinners. We have Whole30 compliant products already stocking our pantry, fridge, and freezer. I also think that doing this in the fall when the kids are in school and our days are more structured will help make it easier.


As we jump into round 2, I thought I would share some of our favorite products that helped us get through round 1.

  • Tessame Salad Dressings - Their ranch and balsamic viniagrette are delicious and compliant.
  • Coconut Secret Aminos - Necessary for stir fries and other Asian dishes (They also have a teryiaki style sauce we're excited to try this go round
  • Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk - The full fat version is so thick and creamy. Perfect for smoothies, scrambled eggs, or with compliant granola.
  • RX Bars - My 5 am pre workout staple. Also great to have in your purse for when hunger strikes.
  • Pederson's Bacon - This ish is hard to find because it's always sold out. We buy it at Fresh Thyme, when they have it.
  • Pacific Vegetable Broth - The only compliant broth I found that's readily available at major grocery stores. I use it in place of meat broths while cooking Whole30.
  • La Croix -  We drink this all the time anyways, but it's especially a great little carbonated almost sweet pick me up while doing Whole30. Simple Truth and Simply Balanced brands have some great flavors too.
I will make sure to share some of our favorite recipes each week, and I plan to share my guacamole recipe because I don't think we would have made it through our last Whole30 without it. Have you done Whole30 before? Any products we're missing out on or must try recipes? I'd love to hear from others who have done this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment