Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Annual Lake Week


Back at the beginning of August we spent a week at the lake with family. It's a week that we look forward to every year. This year was a bit different than in years past because my parents tore down their cottage, built a house on their property, and now they live up there full time. While sleeping 16 people in a 1 room cottage does offer family bonding time like no other, I think everyone slept much better in the new house that has multiple rooms and more importantly, actual bedrooms. We were still on top of each other the whole week, proving that everyone will still congregate in the kitchen regardless of whether there are people sleeping in the kitchen. 
  

I had two sisters, one brother, three brother in laws, and one nephew who were all at the lake with us for varying amounts of time. The first day we were there was the lake's annual poker run, which is always a blast. It's done by boat and most of the stops handout alcohol to the adults, jello and pudding shots FTW, and some stops have swag or treats for the kiddos. We participate every year, we never win, but we always have fun and drink a little too much.




We also celebrated my parents upcoming 50th anniversary, this Saturday is the big day!, while we were there. It's crazy to think they've been together for 50+ years. Our big, crazy family is in place all because two kids fell in love. They were 17 and 19 when they got married, so literally kids.

The rest of our week at the lake consisted of lots of swimming, a couple morning ski sessions, all the cold brew I could drink, and lots of cousin time. Harrison and Brooke love their older cousin, and S and C are pretty fond of him too. I wish we all lived closer, but it makes the time we do spend together even more special.


My oldest sister bought a poop emoji float for the kids that we dubbed the S.S. Dookie. The 3 older kids of course think it's the funniest thing ever and they spent the entire week floating on it, yet I managed to get no pictures, and jumping on it from the pier. We mastered jumping off the pontoon into the deep water and now it's all the kids want to do. That and go tubing. They'd really like to take the S.S. Dookie out to the middle of the lake or go tubing on it, but I'm a buzz kill and always vote safety first. There's a reason my younger brother calls me OLBK, old lady buzz kill. Safety first, then teamwork.

















We had such a great time at the lake and before we knew it, it was time to come home and start getting ready for school to start. I hope my kids look back on these weeks with their aunts, uncles, and cousins and cherish them as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment