Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fourth of July Weekend

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July.  We had a wonderful couple of days, and thankfully the rain held off, mostly, until today.  The first week of July is usually spent at the lake with all of my siblings. They have big things going on in their lives right now, new house, new city, a trip to Europe, that kept them from being here this year, so it was a little bittersweet.  Thankfully my oldest sister was able to make it up from Nashville with her husband for a few days and we were able to get in some family time in addition to a get together with friends.

We started our 4th as we do most mornings, with berries and their new favorite, french toast. A certain little man was in quite the mood, so we hung out around the house and snuggled all day. They had star shaped broccoli cheese bites for lunch and after that they helped me get the back yard ready.  In other words, they made a mess while I tried to get things set up.



I made this festive mobile for above their highchairs and they were enthralled with it.



In honor of National Hot Dog Month, we decided to set up a hot dog bar.  It was really easy and is a great option if you have vegetarian friends. Grill a few soy dogs too, and viola.  No need to prepare an entire second meal.


A few of the topping selections.  We had Mac and Cheese, chili and baked beans in addition to what's on the table.


The cutest party guest ever?  I think so.




I'm pretty sure this is my favorite pic from the night. He was happily enjoying his red, white and blueberry popsicle until he noticed my frito dog. Then is was game over.



Once the kids were in bed we enjoyed some ice cream sandwiches, fired up the chiminea and played Cards Against Humanity.  While we couldn't see the city's fireworks from our back yard, we still got to see a few pretty decent displays. All in all, it was a pretty great day.

The next day we headed to the lake to spend time with family.  The kids and I went for a dip and the water was chilly. We had fun, but after 5 or 10 minutes they were shivering.  I'm hoping the water will warm up a little bit more before we're up there next week.


This is the face of a super tired girl.  We've been back and forth between one nap and two, and Friday was a one nap day. She was ready for it.

After naps Harrison got to go for his first Sea Doo ride. He just relaxed and took it in.  I consider that a success. It of course started raining before I got to take Brooke, so her ride will have to wait till another day. We took the kids to their first fish fry at Hamilton Fish and Game before heading back home.  Coleslaw, baked beans, apple sauce, fried fish, french fries. They were all about it.


I tried my first attempt at tie dyeing onesies, and while they turned out well, they didn't turn out as planned. Our red and blue onesies wound up much more pink and turquoise. Very cute, but not really festive.

We had a great couple of days and enjoyed just relaxing at home today.  Tomorrow is a crazy day for us and I'm hoping they hold up through it all.  A birthday party, pictures, assuming the weather holds out, and a cook out all on one nap.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment