Tuesday, February 18, 2014

21 Months

Harrison and Brooke turned 21 months on Sunday. Usually I like to get their month posts up on the day of, but there was sushi, The Walking Dead, House of Lies and great friends that kept me from blogging. A pretty darn good reason to keep the computer tucked away if you ask me. Monday night, a bottle of proseco and a movie with The Rock kept me from blogging. Not nearly as good of a reason. I did make sure to get plenty of pictures on Sunday. 


Brooke and Harrison know a lot of words, and use a lot of words, however they rarely use them when it would help us understand what they want/need. They are very good at answering questions, we just have to make sure we ask the right questions. This often means there are tears involved until we get to the right questions, but we're getting along ok. I can see they have so many thoughts and opinions, and I can't wait until they are fully sharing them with us. I'm sure I'll bite my words and wish we were back to not talking all the time soon enough.


One of my favorite things verbally that they are starting to do is counting. We have been working on counting for a few months, and it started with pointing to a couple similar objects. Now they are counting larger amounts of objects and they are starting to say their numbers as well.  They can count to four out loud if you help start them off.  They also love to count things like kisses. Rob has started asking for a certain number of kisses at bedtime, and they think it's great. I do too.


They have both developed an obsession with babies. Mainly their baby dolls, but also pictures of babies or babies we see in public. Brooke thinks all kids are babies, so baby comes out of her mouth more often than any other word. They have started taking their babies to bed with them and the babies need to get hugs and kisses before naps and bedtime too. So cute!


The biggest change this month is that they are no longer nursing at all. (More on that in a later post) We dropped their last nursing session and now wake up with a breakfast smoothie and some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Now that they get to watch TV on a daily basis, they ask for us to turn on the TV very often. When it's not Mickey, who they are now in love with, they watch for a few minutes and then go play. They like to have the TV on though. I've been trying to limit it to an hour or so a day, but it's really easy to let an hour turn into two or three. I will admit we watched Cars the other day, and when I say we, mostly I mean I watched it while they played close by. Harrison's interest in the movie was gone after he said car for the 527th time. 


Brooke has started to become very opinionated about what she wears. If she doesn't like something, she won't wear it or will throw a fit until I either take it off, or put one of her lightweight jackets on her. She would wear leg warmers and a jacket every day if I would let her. She would also accessorize with lots of necklaces and either no headband or at least two of them. She is in love with her snow boots. She knows how to put them on herself and will take them out of the closet and wear them around the house even if we're going nowhere. I'm pretty sure she's going to be my shopping buddy for life.


Harrison is still our little snuggle monster and is sweet beyond words. He has decided he wants to do things on his own and if I try to help him, he usually pushes me out of the way. It's hilarious to see. I also cry a little inside each time he pushes me away. He is still willing to curl up in our laps and read books, but he now wants to hold the book and turn the pages on his own. I know I say it every month, but I can't believe how quickly they're growing up and becoming little individuals. I still refuse to believe that they're going to be 2 years old in 3 short months. And now I'm going to go cry in a corner.

Happy 21 months, munchkins! 










No comments:

Post a Comment