Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Beef Vegetable Soup

It's soup season! One of my favorite things about cooler weather is soup. I love soup, especially ones that take hours to cooks in the stove top. They make the entire house smell amazing and after a few hours of cooking, they develop delicious flavors. One of my go to soups is beef vegetable soup. It takes about three hours to cook, is oh so easy, and it freezes well.


I first tried this recipe a few years ago when one of my besties had us over for dinner. It was so good that I asked for the recipe, and she told me it was in the Betty Crocker cookbook, which I already owned. I have modified the recipe a little over time mainly to include more veggies and an easier cut of meat to work with.

Beef Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

1 TBSP cooking oil
2-3 lbs bottom round roast
2 TBSP beef bullion granules
8 cups water
2 bay leaves
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
3 large red potatoes, cubed
10 oz frozen corn
12 oz frozen green beans
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice

Directions.

1. Heat oil in a large pot. Brown meat, half at at time. Drain any fat from pot.

2. Return beef to pot along with water, bullion, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a boil.

3. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for two hours.

4. Remove beef from broth. Strain broth to remove fat and bay leaves.

5. Once beef has rested and is cool enough to handle, cut into cubes.

6. Add beef and broth back to pot. Add in all the vegetables. Cook for 45 on med-low heat, or until vegetables are done.

7. Ladle into bowls, and ENJOY.

Notes: I often times will let the broth completely cool in the fridge to make fat removal easy. This does not change the texture or moistness of the meat. This soup freezes extremely well and keep in the fridge for up to a week. It's even better the next day. Best served with a crusty bread such as a baguette. I frequently add more vegetable to the pot than the recipe calls for. The more veggies the better, IMO.


I am always on the look out for great soups. I have yet to find a baked potato soup recipe I love. I think mainly because I want one for in the crockpot. Oh, and it needs to involve bacon, lots of bacon. Anyone have any great recipes to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment