Monday, December 22, 2014


This weekend was so busy, and yet we didn't do much. With only a few days left until Christmas, we were trying to get all of our last minute things done. And somehow, there's still a lot more to do. For as long as I've know that Santa and the Elves were really my mom and dad, I remember my mom pulling late nights to try and get everything done. 4 am bedtimes are not an uncommon thing for my mom this time of year, and I totally understand why. Trying to make Christmas perfect for your kids is a lot of work. I love making sure all of the details are just right.

Friday morning we made a big grocery store trip to acquire all of the accoutrement for making cookies. H and B were surprisingly good helpers. We got there early enough that it wasn't too busy, but by the time we left, the store was crazy. A couple other quick errands, and we were headed home. 

Friday evening we had a few friends of for sushi takeout. I had a bit of a sore throat, so we had mimosas along with dinner. Since TWD went on hiatus, we haven't been seeing our besties as often, so it was nice to have a few of them over. Also, I may have drank a little too much mimosa.

Saturday the kids and I stayed in our jammies all day and baked cookies and other treats. They were very excited to help. Their version of helping involved eating the red hots off Christmas wreaths. Sorry to anyone who gets a naked Christmas wreath. Now you know why. 

We did do a snowflake painting craft. They love painting and had fun doing it, but it didn't keep them occupied nearly as long as I hoped it would. They were very helpful at cutting out sugar cookies. I let them pick which cutters to use and to help push them down. We ended up with a lot of holly and candy canes. We ended our night with a little Mickey's Christmas Carol, and then it was off to bed for all of us.

Sunday morning we were back at it with baking again. The elves checking in on the kids Saturday night, so they had coloring books and crayons in their stocking. Their new coloring books and crayons kept them occupied for while a while, and I was able to knock out another batch of cookies. 

When Robbie woke up, I went to pick up their new beds which thankfully fit in the back of the minivan. When I got back, the in laws came over, and we had soup and watched the Steelers win. When the game was over, we woke up H and B and exchanged a few gifts. Brooke was a very good helper, and did an awesome job handing out presents. Of course they both loved opening their gifts too. Harrison got a Chuck the Truck toy, and he played with it until bath time last night.

Once the kids were in bed, I finished icing cookies and then rob and I moved their beds into the guest room to await their Christmas Eve assembly. We decided it is time to switch the kids forward facing in their car seats, so we read the manual and switched their seats around last night. I have a feeling they're going to be super excited this morning when we head out to run our last few errands.

I still have a lot of wrapping to do and a few other small things to get done before Thursday, but we are so close to ready. The first of my siblings arrives in town today, so there will be lots of time spent at my parents, I'm sure. Harrison and Brooke have been talking about having to share Golden Thomas with their cousin Charlie, so I think we are all looking forward to today. 

Happy Monday! And I really mean that. It's the start of a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment