Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Tasty Tuesday - Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Can we change Taco Tuesday to Taquito Tuesday? Because after making this recipe, I want to. Or what about Mexican Monday, Taco Tuesday, Taquito Thursday, Fajita Friday, Salsa Saturday, and Sangria Sunday? I intentionally left out Wednesday because there needs to be at least one night for pizza, otherwise I'm good with Mexican food all day every day. Yes I'm aware that sangria is traditionally a Spanish drink, but I'm going to roll with it.


I feel like taquitos don't get enough attention. They're like the Chimichanga's lesser know younger sibling. I love them. The delicious crunchy fried corn tortilla. The crispy burnt bits on the end. The juicy meat on the inside. I've been in love with taquitos since I first had them at La Hacienda restaurant when I was 10 years old. I really wish that place was still open.


This recipe takes it one step further than the taquitos I'm accustomed to and adds in spinach, mom win, and cream cheese. I guess that's actually two steps, but they're two really good steps. This recipe makes a lot. Enough to freeze half and have them again. So buy lots of queso and plan to have Taquito Thursday two weeks in a row.

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Ingredients

3 cups cooked shredded chicken
6 ounces ounces cream cheese, softened
⅓ cups sour cream
½ cups salsa
1½ cups Mexican cheese blend
1½ cups chopped baby spinach, stems removed
1 lime, freshly squeezed
2 tsp cayenne pepper
12 6 inch corn tortillas
vegetable or canola oil, for frying

Directions

1. In a large bowl mix together the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, Mexican cheese, spinach, lime juice and cayenne.

2. Heat ½" oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.

3. Once oil is hot enough (place hand over pan, above oil, to feel heat), add a few tablespoons of chicken/cream cheese mixture to the center of a tortilla and spread out. Roll up and set seam side down in oil using tongs. Cook until golden brown on both sides.

4. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled, rolled and fried.

5. Set on paper towels to drain.

6. Serve with your favorite sides for dipping. Queso, guacamole, and fresh salsa!

Notes: I cooked 3 taquitos in the pan at a time. When placing the tauquitos in the hot oil, place them seam side down and continue to hold them with the tongs for 30 seconds after they hit the oil. This will help them to hold their shape. These can be made with flour tortillas, which I know thanks to our dog eating an entire stack of corn tortillas I had on the counter. They will be a fluffier taquito, similar to a chimichanga. They are still delicious.






Recipe adapted from Lil Luna

No comments:

Post a Comment