Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tasty Tuesday - Avocado Black Bean Burritos

When I was younger, as in birth to 5 years ago, I hated avocado. I didn't like it plain or in guacamole. I straight up wanted nothing to do with it. I tried a few guacamoles over the years that I didn't completely hate, but I always ordered my Mexican food with no guac. Then Chipotle opened, and my life changed forever. Their guacamole is one of the best things that ever happened to my mouth. I love it, and even better, so do H and B.

I gave straight avocado a try again, and I found that I now love it on everything. Avocado spread on a sandwich, chunks in a salad, or even just spooning it from the peel right into my mouth. I am having a love affair with avocado, and I hope it never ends.


In my search for all things avocado, I came across a burrito recipe on Pinterest that looked oh so good. Fried chicken, sour cream, lots of avocado, and cheese all wrapped up in a warmed burrito. It was a big let down. Like major. I loved the idea of letting avocado be the star, so I got to recipe tweaking, and what I came up with was fabulous. So simple, but so good!! I made a chicken version and a vegetarian version. Rob and I both agreed that the vegetarian version made with spicy black bean burgers was tastier than with chicken.


One of by best girl friends in a vegetarian, so we subjected our friends to this on The Walking Dead night a couple weeks ago. Everyone ate at least two burritos, so I'd say it was a hit. A major plus for me is that it only takes a couple minutes of prep time, and cooking the burritos doesn't take long either. Quick and easy.

My not so fabulous rolling skills

Avocado Black Bean Burritos

4 pack Morning Star Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgers
2 ripe avocados
1 lime
7 oz pico de gallo
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
8 tortillas
oil or butter for frying

1. Cook spicy black bean burgers on stove according to package instructions. One cooked, cut into cubes, approximately 16 pieces per burger. Place cut up burger into a large mixing bowl.

2.Cut avocado into cubes. Place in bowl.

3. Add cheese and pico to bowl. Squeeze lime juice into bowl. Mix thoroughly.

4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. coat pan with oil or butter.

5. Spoon mixture onto tortillas and roll into closed burritos.

6. Cooking two or three at a time, place burritos in pan. Cover and cook until lightly browned. approximately 2 minutes on each side. Repeat until all burritos are cooked.

Notes: The black bean burgers can be cooked in the microwave, but cooking them on the stove top gives them a crispiness that adds a nice textural element. If you prefer not to use black bean burgers, you can use chicken instead, as is shown in some of the pictures. I used 1 large chicken breast and cooked it with taco seasoning in the crockpot. Any Hispanic variation on the chicken would turn out well, I assume. If you like a lot of heat, adding a diced jalapeno would complement this dish very well.


These will definitely be going into the rotation. I have a big thing for Mexican food, and would probably eat it 6 nights a week, no problem. I need at least one night for pasta, but otherwise I could live on burritos, enchiladas, Mexican casseroles, and quesedillas. Pretty much anything that involves corn, beans, salsa, spice, and of course avocado.

A huge thank you to everyone that entered our Ry + Rue Kids giveaway. Congrats to our winner, Dagmar Moretti! Check your email for how to redeem your shop credit.


Our Little Miracles

1 comment:

  1. Those sound delicious! I love avocado! and haven't had those black bean burgers in years!

    ReplyDelete