Saturday, April 13, 2013

Hair Accessories

For a baby girl with almost no hair, Brooke sure has a lot of hair accessories. She has more headbands than I can keep track of and they've been sitting in a bin for the last 11 months. Sometimes I remember she has something that I bought to go with an outfit and other times I completely forget she had a matching headband until the end of the day. I decided it was time to solve this problem. Here come my crafty side.


Spending about $20 and using the time span of two naps I made a decorative storage display for all most of Brooke's headbands and eventually hair clips.


All of the supplies: 11x20 canvas, quilt batting, 1 yard of fabric (I only used about half of it), ribbon, screw hooks and silver spray paint.  All of the items can be purchased at any craft store, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, etc.


The hooks were gold so I spray painted them with Rustoleum metallic silver spray paint. (Why do they make everything in gold and not silver?)


I cut out the quilt batting leaving about an inch and a half on each side.



My staple gun spits out at least two staples at a time and I hate it, so I opted for hot glue. It was a little messier and not quite as tight as I would have liked, but it worked. The batting should be pulled as tight as possible when attaching it to the canvas frame. Once the batting is attached, do the same process with your fabric.  The batting keeps the fabric from tearing/wearing on the corners of the canvas.  If you are using a fleece or another heavier fabric you can skip the batting and just use your fabric.


This is what the canvas should look like after you have attached the batting and fabric.



The next step is to attach ribbon for the hair clips. Again, just hot glue the ribbon the the frame. 5 seemed to be the right amount for this size canvas. 



The final step was to screw the hooks into the frame.  I marked off inch spaces on the bottom of the canvas with a sharpie marker.  I personally believe the best projects involve power tools, so I broke out the power drill for this.  Big mistake! If you want to pre-drill the holes for the screws, do it before you attach any fabric.  I didn't think about the fact that the fabric would get twisted around the drill bit.  I wound up tearing a hold in the fabric.  Thankfully it's small enough no one will ever notice it.  I wound up twisting all 20 screw hooks in by hand.  It wasn't terribly difficult, just time consuming.  

Once the hooks were in, I used Command Utensil Hooks to hang it on the wall.  They were the perfect depth hook for the canvas.


Now there's a pretty, visible place for all of Brooke's hair accessories. Most of Brooke's headbands are made with very small elastic.  The small hooks were great for the small elastic, but bigger hooks would definitely be necessary for larger headbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment