Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tasty Tuesday - Favorite Chicken Nuggets

So who else has a picky eater? Pretty much every toddler mom on the planet? Yeah, I thought so. I consider myself rather lucky when it comes to the toddler food battle. We have a few vegetables that the kids will always eat. Hummus is one of their top three favorite foods. Bananas and berries disappear in this house almost as quickly as I can buy them. Overall, it's not a terrible situation.

However, as soon as it's time to sit down for dinner, all bets are off. Even if I fed them ice cream, macaroni and cheese, and french fries for dinner, someone would decide they don't like cheese or ice cream. That kind of stuff happens on the regular. Brooke in particular is great at declaring the food she devoured last week is something she doesn't like this week. Unless it's nuggets with sauce.


Chicken nuggets and french fries. The toddler dinner of champions. I'm sure H and B would be content with the Chik Fil A drive through 6 nights a week. Naga, naga, not gonna happen. When it comes to at home options, we avoid the frozen nuggets, except for the occasional Mickey nuggets from Grandma. We have found that a slightly varied version of Bisquick's Ultimate Chicken Fingers recipe is a guaranteed eat in this house hold. Pair them with sweet potatoes fries and BBQ sauce, and the kids will actually sit at the table and eat for 10 solid minutes.




Favorite Chicken Nuggets

1 - 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup Bisquick
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
1 TBSP melter butter (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 450. Trim chicken breasts as needed. Cut into thin slices or cubes as desired.

2. Mix all dry ingredients in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.

3. Whisk egg in small bowl until mixed.

4. Dip chicken in egg and then shake in ziploc bag until fully coated. I do a few pieces at a time.

5. Place coated chicken on a silicone baking sheet or aluminium foil sprayed with cooking spray.

6. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-14 minutes.

7. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter if desired.

Notes: You can add to and mix up the seasonings if desired. I used 1/2 tsp of onion powder when I made this batch. I didn't think it added anything to it, so I left it off the ingredients list. Adding Italian seasoning would give the chicken a good flavor. The original recipe calls for you to melt the butter and drizzle over the chicken before baking, but I prefer it after.


When it comes to sweet potato fries, we either use Simple Truth or Alexia frozen fries. I used to make them myself, but ain't nobody got time for that. You can find my "recipe" for those on
this post.







No comments:

Post a Comment